Getting back to it.


Another travel day. I wish I could say it would be a thought-provoking blog this week, but it’s not shaping up to be that way.

We’re SLOWLY getting back into a routine. Again. When I come home this week, we don’t have travel plans until September. It’s exhausting and I didn’t realize how badly I need some structure… on occasion. She needs it too… she took a three-and-a-half-hour nap yesterday. She hasn’t done that in months. It has to be catching up with her, right? Also,

Also, where did summer go?

This was a fun one... I actually thought we might have bypassed it - I suppose it's a rite of passage. She went on a tagging and tattooing spree. She left nothing unscathed. Some I had already tried to remove, but, yeah. Sharpie no less.
A couple of firsts for the chica this week. We had our first salon haircut and our first salon manicure. She was absolutely terrified of the haircut. Like, cried the entire way there. It was fun {inserts sarcasm}. I’m not sure if it was the word “cut” or that she hates having her hair brushed. BUT, turns out, like most women, she loved it!! As we’re walking to the car she asks, “when are we going again.” What was interesting was she kept asking questions that one would expect if they were going to the doctor – am I getting a shot? Are they going to listen to my heart? Glad we got our wires uncrossed.
 
She’s loving gymnastics – but she wants to do all the flips like the big kids. {Queues up parenting conversation on hard work and practice – don’t give up – keep trying until you get it}.
 
Teachable moments. It’s a phrase I never understood until now. She asks really good questions – so good that I don’t even know how to answer them. Again, taking that time. Being honest. It’s tough. We had to have a conversation on death this week. Sissy’s 21-year-old kitty passed away this week - back story – Nora Farmer loves cats. And she loves my mom’s house because there are two of them. BUT Nora was going there this week, so it had to be addressed. We’ve done pretty well at introducing the idea that we don’t live forever – some people and animals live longer than others, some people get sick and doctors can’t fix them, etc. It’s amazing how well she processes this (aside from telling us she wants to die so she can go get people and bring them back). There’s a risk, right? What if she became scared of death? What if, what if, what if? It’s our thought that you can’t hide from it – if she’s going to be weirded out by something, then she is, might as well know, so we can work with it – right? BUT we had to make that time. To think about how to explain it, without disregarding it or lying to her. 

So, there you have it.

Comments

Popular Posts