We've got a swimmer-ish
It's not a beautiful stroke, but you know what, she makes forward momentum and doesn't sink to the bottom, so we'll take it.
Let me play out what Monday morning (the 10 minutes before advanced swim lessons started)...
Brief background that a couple weeks ago we did beginner lessons, right (she loved them and did great)?.?.?. Not knowing where she would be after that, I had already signed her up for another beginner class (back in April). When we got to the first day of that class (last Monday) - it was different. Different kids. Younger kids. She didn’t want to go. I made her, obviously. Got a text 15 minutes later that she wouldn’t stop crying. Oy. I get down there, they tell me she needs to be in advanced lessons anyway, can we do those? Yes, absolutely and hooray. So, this Monday we’re off to swim lessons. There were 3 kids from her kindergarten class there. Then she lost it. Started crying. Wanting to leave. “My tummy hurts.” “My head hurts.” Both token phrases when she wants to get out of something. The next thing I know she’s running down the hill, screaming, “I’m not going!!!!” She then drops to the ground and starts grabbing onto the grass in protest. After I told her that we weren’t leaving until she went up to tell the teacher that she didn’t want to be there (to which she protested - AND this instructor will likely be her 1st grade teacher) - she clings on to me like a spider monkey. Tough love moment of the instructor taking her, whilst crying, and dragging her in.I have NEVER seen her act this way in protest. Like, ever. I really felt like I needed a shot of tequila at 11am.She told me she was going to cry again tomorrow. I told her that was fine with me, that I would drag her right back up that hill and she would be going.{sigh}
Fast forward to Wednesday - "Mommy, my day was the best ever because of swim lessons!!" Really?
Her BFF since age 3 is moving to Seattle (all the tears). We had one final send-off playdate. We're going to miss her.
Saturday, she's jumping into the deep end with her friends at a swim party. Oy.

Comments
Post a Comment