Changes

It's been a difficult week at the Farmer household. I was recovering from oral surgery, Farmer is still dealing with his chest cold and I got news that an old friend of mine took his life. Emotional is an understatement. With that said, we have a light week on photos, but a big week on things we've learned...
As far as things we've learned... well, first of all, I hope none of you have ever known someone to take their own life. For me, this was a first. Anytime I hear of a suicide, I always ask myself, "do I know anyone who legitimately has that potential?" The answer is always, "no." So, you really never know, until it's too late. I won't get into the emotional ups and downs I've been on for the past few days, but I will tell you it has only instilled in me some things to teach Nora. Always be a good listener. Never dismiss someone who has some baggage they need to unload. You never know how much of a difference you can make. Be that safe place. Be a confidant. Be trusting. Be courageous. Face your fears and your struggles, no matter how emotionally ugly it may be, no matter how hard it is to talk about it or no matter how hard you think it will be. Be a friend... until the end. Try as hard as you can to never walk away from someone you know in your heart needs you.
Be kind, friends. Be loving. Be uplifting.
Nora, like a champ, is living the dream - people feeding her, people playing with her, people changing her diaper, people giving her baths, people holding her... I mean, what more could one ask for?
She claps and dances. You ask her if she's "done" and she shakes her head "no," but she really means "yes." She LOVES books. She's getting even more courageous, but she's not walking yet. She's starting pushing herself to standing, then letting go and letting herself have a seat. She does this on replay. Still rocking the foot-knee combo crawl. She gets really upset if you don't let her feed herself.
Magnets are the coolest thing in the world... what's even more funny, is she thinks that EVERYTHING is a magnet. So, she'll grab something and place it on the wall, then take her hand away... like it's going to hold. It's cute. As far as things we've learned... well, first of all, I hope none of you have ever known someone to take their own life. For me, this was a first. Anytime I hear of a suicide, I always ask myself, "do I know anyone who legitimately has that potential?" The answer is always, "no." So, you really never know, until it's too late. I won't get into the emotional ups and downs I've been on for the past few days, but I will tell you it has only instilled in me some things to teach Nora. Always be a good listener. Never dismiss someone who has some baggage they need to unload. You never know how much of a difference you can make. Be that safe place. Be a confidant. Be trusting. Be courageous. Face your fears and your struggles, no matter how emotionally ugly it may be, no matter how hard it is to talk about it or no matter how hard you think it will be. Be a friend... until the end. Try as hard as you can to never walk away from someone you know in your heart needs you.
Be kind, friends. Be loving. Be uplifting.




I'm sorry for your loss Tempie. My brother has struggled with depression for years, and we have had the unfortunate occasion to be on suicide watch. It is sad that they see no way out, that they don't know how much they are loved, that they don't see the joy and benefit they bring to the world. You are right. The only thing we can do is show them and love them until.... well, we can't anymore.
ReplyDelete